Oof, it’s been a week.
1. You know it really, really has been a week when you have to make mimosas in the morning to make sure you get through your day. Fridays and mimosas should be the new peanut butter and jelly.
2. I don’t know about this Queen of the Night craze. Everyone – everyone – has been talking about Alexander Chee’s debut novel and it’s sold out of practically everywhere. I mean, even Amazon has sold out. The book’s supposed to be quite the big deal. I found a hardcover at B&N this weekend, but I wasn’t exactly enthused with the $28 price tag. Okay, yes, it’s more than 500 pages, but still! So I read the first few chapters yesterday, however many came with the free preview, and I’m still kinda meh. It’s reading much more like library loaner, not a book (e- or otherwise) that I need to shell out money for and read right! now! I heard the opera diva thing was just a topic, not an issue, but it still read to me like an opera-centric story. Go ahead and guess what I’m not a big fan of. We’ll see how this plays out.
3. I very nearly came home with a puppy last weekend. It seemed exactly like the right idea at the time, only Jeff wasn’t sure he was ready yet. So he killed the idea. I thought a 12-week-old lab puppy was exactly the right timing(!), and I think he’s crazy for passing up a slight crack in the I’m-a-one-dog-kinda-gal thing I have going. Even now, every time I go to sleep, I think how glad I am that
I Jeff didn’t give in to the impulse. Sleep is delicious.
4. I’m looking for a really grabby book for reading on my phone at red lights and in store lines. I’ve been rummaging through Dark Tower 4 as part of my Stephen King re-read, but I’m kind of meh about that right now. Knowing Bag of Bones, one of my Top 10s, is next isn’t helping. Everything else I’ve been sampling has been okay, but not terrific. I need something super grabby so I won’t want to close the program and take my turn in or get impatient with traffic. It doesn’t help that I’ve read so many really good books lately. I’m convinced I have a spate of iffy books around the corner whenever I string together a bunch of good ones.
5. I’ve found a good routines for the mornings. Write my blog post, check in with my planner. Mark off days as “busy” for the month and then check in with the day and week ahead. Check in with my meal plan and blog ideas. Then read a few posts from blogs I follow and check the news for the day. It’s a nice routine and one that’s really been working for me lately. Except I fell off the routine wagon this week and have been bowing down to the Chaos Queen. Helter skelter has been my middle name this week, and I do not like it Sam-I-Am. Here’s hoping routine finds me again come Monday. Because GOD, JEB, chaos makes me cranky.
So there you go. A quick five things. What do you have going on today? Do I need to send over a batch of mimosas to share?