Happy Galentine’s Day, loves!
Okay, yes, I see a lot of blank stares, so for those who would like the hilarious full explanation, I suggest clicking here. In short, though, Galentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day, in which we celebrate the true loves of our lives – our besties! There is much dancing, much wine (if you’re besties with me, at least), and much celebrating. Because our romantic partners may come and go, but the gals in our lives? They’re here through thick and thin. And thinner. And thinnest. And they ARE AWESOME!
So! I give you my Five for Galentine’s Day:
1. A big Happy Galentine’s Day to my sisters and cousins-who-are-almost-sisters, and friends-who-may-as-well-be-sisters. Heaven knows they have listened to me time and time again about relationships gone good and those gone bad. More importantly, they’re there when it’s all about us – celebrating papers that are published, crushing a huge project, or running an impossible distance. We have some awesome, awesome people in our family – including (especially?) some kickass ladies who would do anything for one another. Love you all!
2. Happy Galentine’s Day to my incredible mom, and all of my extra moms – aunties, friends of the family, and relatives of all my friends. It takes a village to raise us all and knowing I have such an incredible support system means the world to me! (Especially when you encourage me to stare at hott men who read for as long as I can get away with. See? Clearly awesome.)
3. Happy Galentine’s Day to the girls’ Stepmom who has stepped up and not only parented the girls in wonderful ways, but has become a friend to me, as well. Thank you for picking up the girls on Friday on your lunch hour, for volunteering a place for them to hang out when everyone has to work, for always telling me when the Cadbury Eggs are out, making sure I got to watch Outlander, and sharing so many Reader adventures! I’m so glad you are part of our lives!
4. Happy Galentine’s Day to all of the second mamas to my tiny Gals at home – and yes, you all fit into these other categories, but second-parenting my girlies is so much work you get an extra shout out. My minions are going to grow up so much stronger, smarter, and sassier because of all of you. Whether it’s being available at school for crises big and small (on their end or mine!), being their Safe Grown-Up to tell secrets to when they’re unsure about telling mom, or filling in the gaps when and where I can’t, it’s a precious, precious gift that should land you a lifetime supply of wine and chocolate.
5. And for all of my friends I’ve met online, through my blog, Twitter, other blogs or other friends – an extra big Happy Galentine’s Day to you all! You guys are the best. I know we’re all smarter than to listen to the idiocy that online friendships are somehow “less than” other “real” friendships. I know it not only because we’re kickass, but because we support each other and call each other out and stand up for each other every single dang day. In fact, we’re so busy being awesome, we don’t even have time for that noise. Thank for for every time you’ve stood up for me, smacked me upside the head when I needed it, and let me pout when I needed that. Thank you for talking books, kids, girlie problems, morality, philosophical issues, and generally helped the world become a better place. Seriously, they should just let us rule the world; collectively we solve all its problems.
And isn’t that the damn point: collectively.
Happy Galentine’s Day, you guys! Now someone hit the music so we can get on to dancing and drinking!