1. It is Friday, right? My week has been so wonky, I’m only half sure. No big plans for the weekend. I was going to go on a date (or two), except the dueling weather reports scuttled those plans before they were more than half-formed things. So! Instead! Tonight there will be a run to the groceria, and then a nice evening with a crackling fire, a bottle of wine, and some books. Tomorrow, if it hasn’t iced over, there will be a massive trip to the used book store, and possibly plans to investigate a new (to me) library. Then it’s PLAYOFFS, BABY! And really I haven’t planned anything beyond the afternoon game tomorrow because if the Pats lose – what’s the point of anything anymore?
2. Not my finest parenting moment last night. But almost maybe kinda funny. I was sleeping like the dead again (thank god), only to wake up as some creature came flying through my door. Her throat hurt and she thought she was going to throw up. Dear God, please don’t make me use a sick day barely a week into January. And also don’t let it be the flu. I was a bit fuzzy headed and not really with it and was having a bit of a hard time getting thoughts together, and maybe blurted out, “Which one are you?” I don’t think Gracie took offense, and I took good care of her and had her tucked into bed in no time, but if Bee could maybe stop using her Twinner Plan against me, that’d be great.
3. Bee-girl got me OK Go’s Of the Blue Colour of the Sky – Extra Nice Edition, giggling madly over the “extra nice” part, and it’s been on constant repeat in my car pretty much ever since. In fact, I haven’t even made it to the second disc. And because we could all use a little OK Go music on a Friday (and shoulder dancing at any time), I offer you this: An NPR Tiny Desk Concert in 223 Takes.
4. I don’t know what you’re talking about when you say I did nothing but read last night. But you should really, really pick up Marlon James’s A Brief History of Seven Killings if you get the chance. It’s a fictional take on the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in 1976 when he was to perform at the Smile Jamaica concert. It’s so much more than that, and man – is it brilliant! It’s a slow read, but it doesn’t feel slow; in fact, I kept thinking about when I was reading Americanah at the beginning of 2014, and how I knew as I was reading it how intelligent and fresh and epic it was. This is like that. I keep thinking back to this New Black Aesthetic class I took in college, and of identity and boundaries and labels in general. Big thoughts for a big-big story.
5. So that ice storm that might have started last night didn’t, but forecasters are swearing will descend either tonight or definitely tomorrow (if not before then). Sigh. So many “We swear! …We think.”s. So we have this ice event coming our way the day after Gracie-girl got her cast off. Her bones are all healed, but she’ll have to wear a splint for a month as part of a step-down process, because she’s pretty sore and weak. Which is why I want all of you to pray for me this weekend, because did you read all that? Icy, slippery surfaces + weak, barely healed, twice-broken wrist = disaster, looming. And all new insurance deductibles. Oof.
On that happy note – have a wonderful weekend, everyone! Stay warm and toasty (and in one piece)!